Copyright in literary works does NOT have to be REGISTERED in South Africa. Literature includes books, blogs, essays, memoirs, novels and poetry. Once the literary work is created in a material form, it is instantly subject to copyright and the owner may use the copyright © symbol.
Copyright exclusive rights includes: Adapt, Broadcast (e.g. Internet / TV / Magazines), Copy, Let or offer for hire, Publish, Perform in public, Translate.
The best way to protect your literature is to ensure that you have evidence of your rights in the event that your copyright is infringed.
- Keep record of any agreements / e-mails / invoices pertaining to the work.
- Keep all the flow-charts / drawings / plans.
- Use the copyright © symbol when presenting your work.
- Mark your work with your name.
- Store electronic copies in a safe place.
- Keep the original works hidden in a safe place.
- Store printed copies of your work in a safe place.
- Register your copyright in the U.S.
U.S. Copyright Registration
Copyright registrations in the U.S can be filed through the United States Copyright Office by a copyright attorney. The estimated cost of registering copyright in one work in the U.S is R5000, including all official fees and professional fees. PLEASE NOTE THAT PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE. PRICES ARE ONLY AN INDICATION. PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE FOR A FORMAL QUOTATION.